Tuesday 12 March 2013

Losing track of time

Ok, what day is it today? Will have to check calendar as I have no idea!! River time gets you like that, you live in perpetual Sundays. Ok, after checking my phone calendar I find that today is Tuesday 12th, I saw the kingfisher on (checks Facebook for date of post) March 5th!!! God I have to catch up on a weeks worth of blog!

I have been remiss I know, but in my defence I have been pretty much flat on my back the whole time staring at the ceiling. I have a few photos that Yog took but not many. They help to jog my memory when writing so lack of photos is not a good thing. Hey ho, will give it a go. Will start with a list of my missing days and using facebook, photos and my crap memory will try and fill in from there.
Mar5th eve- I remember the hangover the day after so this evening was spent with Mick & Marie putting the world to rights and consuming red wine.
Mar6th- Yog spent the day observing the work in the lock as they tried to raise Martins boat.  Can you believe that C&RT put a Section 8 on the boat while it was in the lock to claim salvage rights on it if he didn't manage to raise it!!  They offered him no help at all and made their hindering presence known throughout the whole situation.  eg: He bought a load of wood from nearby Travis Perkins because C&RT wouldn't give him the use of theirs, and they refused to let him use it because it hadn't been 'tested for H&S' (after he had bought it).   As far as I know it cost him in excess of £4k to raise his boat in the end, I bet C&RT were devastated he managed it.  Now don't get me wrong, I don't expect C&RT to foot the bill or anything like that but to offer NO HELP at all and in fact appear to try and hinder him at every opportunity whilst leaving the poor chap to fend for himself in that awful situation is unforgivable in my opinion.    Why am I not surprised though, lets face it they are happy to tell you downright lies to get what they want, as has been proved in recent FOI request answers.

Snowdrops at St Mary's


While Yog was busy monitoring the activities at Batchworth lock, I decided to venture out into Rickmansworth Town Centre.  My back was starting to feel better enough for the thought of a quick jaunt round the charity shops to be a pleasurable thing rather than a pain wracked endurance test.  I remember I was feeling a bit stressed, not sure why now, I think I was still feeling guilty about missing Pamelas Birthday, that as well as the one or two word texts I was getting from her were giving me the impression she was still not a happy bunny, there was probably no reason for it but I was stressing. I would normally get a mini essay at the very least!!  Its horrible having your best mate 200 miles away.  You cant just nip round for a moan when you want, or shoot up the shops for a quick coffee.  Everything has to be organised in a military fashion, free weekends, train tickets, shopping itinerary.  Its all important stuff, and to miss you exit to get to it is most upsetting for all concerned. 


So, feeling the need for relaxation I felt myself drawn to St Mary's Church Rickmansworth.  As I walked through the graveyard I noticed how well kept and tidy the exterior of the church was.  There were snowdrops lining the path leading towards the door as well as dotted around the grass surrounding the various weathered graves.  There was a sign outside inviting you in and I accepted the invitation.  Inside was completely devoid of human occupancy, just me and the huge stained glass window facing me.  I sat myself down on one of the seats near the back and just looked at the building interior.  It was beautiful, silent and relaxing.  As I sat there taking in my surroundings I felt my stresses just draining away, as if being gently removed form my muscles and fibres.  I thought about the work that must have gone into this building, the arches, the glass, the woodwork, everything about the building just made you want to look at it and wonder when it was made and who made it.  I am so glad I took the time to venture inside. I felt much better. 

 I covered the High Street with renewed vigour, my charity shop haul was a good one.  the local butchers had a good spread which I duly cherry picked from and I even allowed myself a posh coffee in the local coffee house.  By the time I returned to Rae, Martins boat had been raised and removed and was now moored above the lock.  Albeit a but damp and soggy round the edges.  All that remained now was for the booms to be removed and we could be on our way again. 

Mar7th- The booms were removed by 10 am and we were on our way again.  It was a shitty day though, not my favourite pastime locking in the rain but needs must and all that.  Waterproofed up to the nines we started off through Batchworth Lock, past Martins boat and onwards towards Cassio Bridge Lock  which was due to re-open tomorrow after having new gates fitted.  I managed to get half way through the second lock of the day before my back pinged and I was done for the rest of the week. Yog had to manage on his own for the rest of the day, we still managed to get to where we needed to go even without me doing the locks!!  Which was just as well really because I was done in and broken, good and proper.  So much so that Yog had to do the dinner and everything.
New Gates at Cassio Bridge
Mar8th - They finished the lock on schedule and we headed off again, me stuck in bed and Yog on the tiller, travelling basically single handed.  We got as far as Iron Bridge Lock before we stopped for the evening and Yog took off his tiller hat and put on his boatwife hat instead because I was still flat on my back and boatwife duties as well as locking duties were the last ting I needed to worry about.   
SatMar9th- Today was my darling daddies birthday, if he was still alive he would have been 76 years young.  Stuck in bed, I felt I was 176.  Yog chugged on and got us to  Lady Chapels Lock and then did Shepherds Pie for dinner, with grated cheese on top!  He is getting adventurous with his ready meal cooking!! Saying that, He does better than I do with them, I can never get them out of the plastic trays without them looking like a something that has been regurgitated, but Yog actually gets them looking edible???


SunMar10th - I have no recollection or photo brain jogger for this day, all I can remember is that I did nothing all day and that Yog cooked fishermans pie with frozen mixed veg.  (a new addition to his repoitoir).
MonMar11th- It was bloody cold today, I know this because I managed to walk to the local shop near Hunton Bridge, where we moored for the night.  We then had Pizza for dinner, which Yog cooked.  He then tried to get hold of James Bills the coalman on facebook.  He had checked in 4 locks behind us and was heading our way!!  We had less than half a bag of coal to our name and needed replenishment!!
TueMar12th -Excellent, James has just pulled up next to the boat, he got our message two locks back.  How marvelous that you can use Facebook to book a coal delivery!!  Better still he takes card payments and I didnt have to walk up the hill again to get some cash for him.  Coal safely onboard Yog headed off towards Kings Langley, Ed is on his way by train and we have arranged to meet him there.  Ed has arrived, I am now uptodate and am going to celebrate with a ciggie and a cup of coffee.  

No comments:

Post a Comment