Monday 26 March 2012

First 2 Days

Moored at Waltham Cross on Sunday 18/03/12 
We left Fieldes Wier on Saturday morning and had a pretty uneventful cruise down to Cheshunt where we moored up for the evening.
In the afternoon we had a walk up to the High Street in Cheshunt for Yogi's first and last ever charity shopping excursion!! LOL he did do really well but I could tell after the second shop it was fry up time or we were going home and I was going to have to cook.  So the fry up won!!
We went to a little cafe opposite the Post Office, I had scampi and he had fry up. He was MOST impressed, and if you know Yog, that is no mean feat to impress him!!


The next day we carried on and stopped briefly in Waltham Cross for a bacon sarnie and a cup of tea before heading into so far uncharted waters as this was the furthest point we had been to in the past.


Picketts Lock, the toll is a Bounty Bar!!
This is the point when I started to cycle the towpath to set the locks up for Yog, this giving the double benefit of getting me fit and not knackering Yog.  Win/Win you would think, until I realised I had basically agreed to cycle over 200 miles and set up over 200 locks for him!!  Hey Ho, I like a challenge, and it will be good exercise for me so am going to give it my best shot.


We chugged along really well, through Ramney Marsh, Enfield and Picketts Locks.  I liked Picketts Lock as the Lock Keeper had fixed a box to his garden fence advising that the toll to go through the lock was a Bounty Bar, unfortunately I didn't have any sweeties on board so if anyone goes through there could they leave an extra one from me :0) 
Then came Stonebridge Lock, where I saw one of my Internet buddies Jessica :0) Excellent to put a face to a name as we frantically waved at each other as Yog chugged us past, no time to stop unfortunately :0( I got back on the boat at this point for a rest.  As we came out of the lock I saw another boater who I had met before at a couple of the Lee and Stort Boaters Meetings, we had a chat between boat and towpath for a while then he charged up to Tottenham Lock and set it up for us, absolute gentleman.  Am pretty sure his name is Tony but started to doubt myself after we had left so I couldn't check (If your name isn't Tony I apologise xx) 
Fires Lit and this is home for the night, must ask
Yogi to clear the roof .....


The end of the day was spent moored up by the gates of the Middlesex Filter Beds Nature Reserve. Some brief details are available here: thttp://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=HAC032

By the time we got here it was starting to get dark so this was the designated mooring spot for the evening.  I worked out that I had cycled 7 miles today and was pretty pleased with that.


I also learnt how to work out lock miles which is how you work out how long each journey should take you basically its (miles+locks)/3=time.  I thought it was a pretty good way of getting an idea of how long each leg would take and to see where you would be mooring each night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment