Thursday 5 July 2012

The Mission - Phase 2

OK, we now have a new plan.  No longer are we going to wander aimlessly around the waterways at a leisurely pace and take in the sights and sounds of the cut.  Not for the next 6 weeks or so anyway.  We are heading back to Roydon to collect Viking and bring her back to Braunston.  Silver Blue is going to be looked after by young Jack who visited us a few weeks back.  So, move off of Silver Blue, onto Viking then off of Viking and onto new boat.  I cant give you any details about the new boat yet as I would have to kill you if I told you now. ;0)
Braunston in April
So, phase 2 of Yogis mission begins. Back to Roydon in less time than canalplan says a normal person should be able to manage it lol.
4th July we set off for Southern Waters and made our way towards the Braunston Lock Flight.  I had got used to single locks and to go back to double ones was a bit of a shock to the system the gates are sooo much heavier!!  But I managed and we were heading for the Braunston Tunnel in no time.  It is really funny, I really hated these tunnels on the way up, but after the Standedge they are positively spacious!! lol 


We stopped for the night just before Norton Junction and just after passing NB Cornmill which has apparently just had new paint and is much shinier than normal.  I thought she was looking even more stunning than usual and now I know why.


5th July its the Buckby Lock flight, 7 locks all down hill, excellent.  We arrived at about 9am and there were 2 boats already going through so we sat and waited for our turn.  I was just getting sorted when I saw a black boat pass our window and thought to myself 'cool, someone to share the locks with'.
Got my kit together and went outside to start doing the lock and Yogi told me to get back on the boat?  Perplexed I was to say the least, but I did as I was told and made my way onto the boat to find myself standing next to Geraldine of The Cheese Boat.  How fantastic to meet her and her other half Mike, what a fantastic couple!! I am not just saying that either they are lovely.  We tied our boats together, Mike drove, Yogi did the locks and Geraldine and I chatted for the duration of the flight.  At the bottom we met up at the cafe at the Whilton Marina and had a fry up together too!!  What a top day, I had a lovely relaxing day, didn't have to do any locks, met a really fab couple and didn't have to cook lunch. I don't think today can be topped, I really don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment