Tuesday 24 July 2012

Phew!! What a scorcher!!!

Blanket. Tshirt. Coal sack. Various carrier bags. Scarf, rope, fishing line and a Jumper. Sounds like a shopping list I know, but it's not. It's the crap that we have pulled from the prop today!
We ended up just past Black Jacks Lock today, 9.5 hours cruising and 20 odd miles covered.
Yesterday evening we had moored outside Sainsburys at Kensal Green, topped up our supplies and tried for an early night. At midnight it was still really hot and we were still awake whilst Mark was snoring on the sofa and Buster soundo in his usual place at the bottom of the bed. I had been watching the silhouette's of the people walking by in the blinds at the windows as it was the only real activity going on outside and Yogi was just restless and overtired busy being a pest.
All of a sudden we heard this 'clang' of someone or something landing on the roof entrance hatch. Yog shot up and out of bed with me following close behind. Yog opened the hatch and peered out into the darkness wearing nothing but his pants. A short pause followed then he started shouting "Oi! Get out of it!!". "What is it?" I nervously asked from the bottom of the stairs. "It's a bloody Fox on the roof!" he replied shooing it away as he spoke. Relieved, we headed back to bed to try and get some sleep. Noticing on the way, that in all the commotion, banging and shouting. Neither Mark or Buster had stirred an inch and were blissfully unaware of the nights excitement passing them by as they slept.
The reason I had been a tad nervous was we had already had an incident in Mile End on the way down. It was also around midnight, we were also in bed. And we had also heard a loud thud on the roof accompanied by the swinging of the boat from side to side. On this occasion Yog had found a youth on the roof after running down the boat whilst dragging his strides on. The reply he'd got to "Oi! Get of my roof!" was "Why?". He then replied, whilst making his way up onto the roof in quite an angry tone "Cos I bloody said so, That's Why!! Needless to say, the youth thought now would be a good time to get off our roof and skulked off with his mates.
Yog told me later that his mates had said to him they'd thought he was a prick anyway. Didn't help with getting a restful nights sleep when you need to get up at 6am the next day though.
Thankfully, this time it was just an opportunist fox but you never know who or what it could be creeping about on your roof at midnight do you?
Anyway, I have today been completely lazy apart from girl work like washing, cleaning and cooking. I helped Mark with a couple of the locks but that was it! Am glad I spent most of the day inside now as both Yogi and Mark are very red and have caught the sun big time. I think if I had been out there all day with my fair skin I would have been in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment