Monday 2 July 2012

The Mission - Phase 1

Newbold Tunnel
Blimey, where does the time go?? Just had a look at the blog and we have travelled miles since we last spoke!  Like I said, Yogi is on a mission which I unfortunately started him on. When will I ever learn??? We had been discussing what to do about Viking, our Barge sat on a mooring in Roydon. Although the cost of the mooring was very reasonable. It was a hefty amount each month to pay for something we had no intention of using in the near future.We are enjoying chugging about too much and plan carrying on.  Viking is a bit of a dead weight for us to carry, so what to do? 
I thought I would try an add on eBay for sale or swap and see what happened. 


Buster in Mission Mode with Daddy
We had loads of feedback and various offers including a 45'tug, a 60' semi trad, a boat builder offered to build me a boat for £40k plus Viking lol. All intermingled with various other strange suggestions that were ignored,. Offers opportunities and ideas were coming in on a daily basis but none of them fitted the bill for one reason or another. Then on 25th I had a phonecall from a lovely chap with a 68 footer that sounded right up our street. It was very similar value to Viking so a straight swap was suggested. I showed Yog the pics I had been sent and waited for his response.  That's how the Mission started, hence doing the Macclesfield in 2 days instead of 3 and hacking through the Trent and Mersey.  All to get to Braunston to see this boat to see if we could do a deal.  Once Yogi gets the bit between his teeth, well the ones he has left that is, there is no stopping him.  As those of you who know him will well know!!  


According to CanalPlan  (Most Excellent Tool) 'A journey of 135 miles, with 84 locks, 5 swing bridges and 6 tunnels should have taken 69 hours, 13 minutes which is 9 days, 6 hours and 13 minutes at 7 hours per day. For calculation purposes this is taken as 10 days'. With Yogi on the tiller in Mission Mode, it took 6 days.  How I've survived the journey I will never know although I do now have biceps that would make Popeye jealous lol.

Braunston Turn
We arrived early evening on the 1st and moored up opposite our prospective new boat and called the owners.  They have a lovely mooring on the Oxford with chickens and a really pretty garden.  The walk round to the boat was a pretty long one after our day but it was preferable to the canoe option we were offered. lol We had a couple of cups of tea and a lovely long chat with them till quite late.  In amongst our chatter, it was decided that they would drive to Viking with Yogi the following day to check Viking out whilst I stayed at home to look after Buster Boy.  I gave no objection to this as I was exhausted and planned to stay in bed for the duration, or for as long as I could get away with anyway.  The end of the 2nd came and Yog returned at about 4pm. The deal was done, the swap was on the cards. All we needed to do now was work out how we were going to get Viking to Braunston lol



No comments:

Post a Comment