Monday 30 July 2012

Mon 30th july

Rae
This time last month we were nearly at Braunston to have a look at 'Rae' the prospective swap for Viking our barge.
Today we are 10 mins away from arriving again and to move house one last time. This time it's for keeps. Rae is the first boat out of the flotilla we have gone through in the last 5 years that is truly for us. Picked by us and wanted by us. All our previous boats have been 'his or 'hers' for some reason or another. Malle Babbe our first barge, was purchased specifically so my mum could come live out her final days with us. Slave (originally Yogis daughters) was swapped with her so Yogis grandson would have his own room and his family wouldn't have been so cramped. Viking was purchased for Yogi because, to be honest I thought he was going to die. He had been very ill just after my mum died and had been hospitalised for ages.  It was all he had ever wanted and I wanted him to be happy. Lucky for me he didn't pop his cloggs and now, for the first time 'we' have Rae, our tug front narrowboat.
Viking on her way to her new home
As I sit here surrounded by bags and boxes containing the sum of our existence. I can feel the rumble of Vikings P6 Perkins gently vibrating the chair I'm sitting on.  I watch the trees and bushes pass by the windows like a film reel and have to admit to a small lump in my throat. This move has been different to all the rest. It has brought up many memories. Strangely, not of Viking, but all that came before her.
The engine revs have just changed to tick over and the rythmic thrupp thrupp thrupp reminds me of a giant impatiently drumming his fingers, as if waiting for his dinner. It means we are slowing down to moor, which means we are here and that means its time to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment