Wednesday 11 April 2012

Best Synchronized Boating Ever :0)



11/04/12
Bridge 69, Old Wolverton - Stoke Bruerne Locks - 6 Miles

Great Ouse Aqueduct


Happy, happy, Joy, joy, woke up moving again this morning, Yog must have left early as it was only just 8am when I awoke.
We pulled in at Cosgrove Lock at 8.15am and would be racing the wind and rain again today.  The locks are up hill again now so will take a little longer to get through them.
Yogi told me that he DID NOT like going over the Great Ouse Aqueduct, he did not like it at all!! I think it surprised him just how much he didn't like it and he wasn't a happy bunny when he was describing the experience to me lol.  I, had been happily in dreamland at the time and completely missed all the fun.


With our only lock of the day behind us we continued the rest of our journey to Stoke Bruerne.  We needed to stop for diesel and pump out and Baxter Boat Fitting had the facilites we needed.  This is the nearest I am getting to shopping at the moment and felt the need to do a show and tell: 1 x Pump out £15.00, 1 x 13kg Gas £25.49, 3 x Coal @ £10.25, 60l Diesel @ £1 per litre


Mid morning we passed this amazing boat called Alice 2 and just had to share it with you.  She is like beautifully executed articulated narrowboat with the front end of one narrowboat fixed onto the front of another!!  We really loved this idea and thought it was inspired!! And the paint job was a lovely one too. 
The inspired Alice 2 - Found this picture on the internet as my picture was not a good one
As we continued to our destination we noticed that the rape fields were starting to come into bloom so hay fever came to the forefront of our minds.  The search for local honey starts now.



We arrived at the lock flight quite early, about 2pm I think but as the clouds were starting to gather above us we decided to moor up here for the night and head off again in the morning.  As I had spent the day on the boat and we had run out of baccy!!! I decided to cycle up to Stoke Bruene to try and find some.  
I decided to try out my new app 'Mapmyroute' to see if it worked, and am most impressed!! My route is the picture on the right.
It told me my round trip was 1.97 miles and what the elevation was, but I don't understand that bit lol.


Synchronised Boating




Round about 4pm the heavens opened big time and all hell broke loose. 3 hire boats came careering up the river past us to the mouth of the lock and then embarked on a marvellous synchronized soggy, wind blown display of boat manoeuvring right in front of us!!


It was most entertaining!!  How they didn't bash into each other or another boat between them I have no idea!!


       









No comments:

Post a Comment