Friday 20 April 2012

WTFAWT - On the Oxford

20/04/12
Barby Wood Bridge 78 - Hungerfield Bridge 35
Total distance is 9 miles, 3 locks, 3 small aqueducts  and 1 tiny tunnel


Am liking the bridges in this area and increasingly disliking the camera on my phone, it takes ages to get ready and half the time Ive missed the picture I really wanted to take!!  


The temperature is a lot lower this morning and its really cold on the back deck, much colder than the last few days,.


We came upon our first narrow lock today.  It was lucky there was a boat coming through as we arrived so I got a quick 'do's and dont's' from the chap working the gates which helped get an idea of how to continue.


The locks here are in pairs but one side had been closed off by BW to save water.  The lock gates are so much lighter than I am used to, I almost fell flat on my bum the first time I opened one!!


Silver Blue fits in so snugly with just about the room for a rizla both ends. They fill up so much quicker too!!


Hillmorton Locks are a flight of 3 with plenty of facilities around them should we have needed them but we were all good.  There was even a cafe, but we didn't stop as the weather was pretty good and the river was quite busy.


After the last lock Yog spotted Edi's boat, easy really if you know what to look out for.  He bibbed and shouted and managed to wake up all the surrounding boaters but couldn't rouse Edi the reason being he was actually in London that morning but would meet us at tea time.  


Cafe Delivery Waggon
I checked my 'app' and the Nicholson's to have a look see on where would be best to stop.  There was a supermarket by bridge 58 so we decided to stop there and wait for Edi to arrive.  I also took the opportunity to get a Dr appointment to renew my prescription which I managed to do surprisingly easily!  Itinerary sorted, we made our way to Rugby.


My appointment was at 3pm and I headed off about 2.30 to find the doctors, just my luck, uphill all the way!!


Found the Dr's, and the pharmacy and a chip shop that had a queue right out of the door at 4pm so I thought it must have been a good one.  Two large cod and chips later, I was glad I did.  It was delicious!! 


Instead of Edi arriving for a visit, Clive did.  LOL we didnt even realise he was in the area, or that Edi knew him, but he was and he did so he arrived in Edi's stead.  After a couple of cuppas and a good old catch up we carried on for a bit more travelling into the evening.  We both had found our second wind from somewhere and were happy to do a bit extra.  Plus it would be really bad tommorow so the more distance we could cover today the better.

The weather was definitely drawing in and the clouds were gathering up above us.  One of them looked like a devil, with two horns, eyes, nose and fluffy moustache!! All edged in red from the sun.  
As the sun disappeared, and the sky got blacker and blacker we decided that even though we were fully fledged members of the Where The F**k are We Tribe who couldn't even see the bank, we would have to find somewhere to moor up for the night pretty damn quick.

1 comment:

  1. but did you get any change out of a tenner for the fish and chips? ;-) Her

    ReplyDelete