Tuesday 17 April 2012

300yds My Arse!!!

17/04/12
Weedon Junction Bridge 24 - Whilton Marina - 3 Miles - 0 Locks


The Journey so far : Fieldes Weir - Whilton Marina
120 miles - 2 Swing Bridges - 3 Tunnels - 11 Small Aquaducts and 100 Locks!!



We have started to make mad dashes to try and either out-run the rain or cruise between the showers & downpours.  Today being no different I awake to a running engine and Buster trampling all over my face to let me know he's gone without us!! ( I don't think he can quite comprehend that he is on the boat that is moving and hasn't been left behind :0) lol).


A couple of miles into the days travel we pulled in for a cuppa and to let the dog out for his morning constitutional.  Whilst following him up the towpath I noticed a sign on Muscott Mill Bridge 18 saying '300yds to  Heart of the Shires Shopping Village over 20 shops including home made pie, crafts, lighting, cafe and tea room'.  Taking into account the weather etc I decided against asking Yog if I could have a quick look as I knew he wanted to get to Whilton Marina to see what stuff they had there and was keen to keep chugging.


When I got back with the dog, Yog asked me if I had seen the sign on the bridge for 'the place with the shops?' I answered in the positive and bugger me if he didn't suggest taking a walk up there to have a look!!  I immediately agreed got my bag and went out the door, 'No rush babe' I said from the towpath lol.


'Turn left at the bridge and its 300 yards' That's what the instructions on the bridge said.  Unfortunately, following those directions took us into a very helpful gentleman's garden,  who seemed quite used to strange people wandering through his front gates.   He cheerfully pointed us in the right direction to the top of the hill up on the left, apparently it happens all the time as the place is more like half a mile away!! 


Have put a link to Heart of the Shires for anyone interested, to be honest I thought was  a bit pricey, taking advantage of its captive audience and the cafe/tearoom was a bit to formal for us.  It was more of a restaurant where men wore light blue trousers and the women, lemon blouses with embroidery on.  Not really our thing just yet, so we gave it a miss.  Next was the pie shop, where Yog took control of the shopping ;) we came out with two carrier bags full of PIE and Quiche.  That was lunch and dinner sorted for tonight.  Then he sat and had a ciggie near the bandstand and patiently waited for me whilst I got my fix of shoes hats and handbags.  I came out with a rather fetching waxed cotton hat which I thought was a good idea especially with the weather being a bit unpredictable as it was.


The walk back to the boat was down hill thankfully and Yog was already thinking of lunch.  'I'll put the kettle on and you do quiche'  he said as we slid along the towpath, him carrying the bags and me modelling my new hat!  Well, it could rain at any time!! 


George, keeping an eye on things
Funnily enough, I didn't have to wait long before testing just how shower proof my hat was because just before we pulled in opposite Whilton Marina the heavens opened with a vengeance!!  It was 5.45pm and the chandlery closed at 6pm.  We shot in there quick to see what stuff they had in stock etc so we could go back with a list the next day.  


Back at the boat we had a visitor, apparently his name was George and he was born here.  He quacked at me through the kitchen window till I relented and gave him some supper. Cheeky bugger!!








1 comment: